08 November 2019
The Pavilions regenerated a challenging derelict railway site on the edge of the King's Cross masterplan and provides 156 sustainable homes for private rent and affordable housing. The exemplary design solution by architects Jestico + Whiles overcame significant structural and planning challenges.
The Pavilions has also delivered a substantially enhanced Site of Importance for Nature Conservation, incorporating an educational nature trail and bird hide for use by local school and community groups.
Jon Di-Stefano, Chief Executive Officer of Telford Homes, said: “We are very proud of what has been achieved at The Pavilions and it’s fitting that the remarkable level of recognition it has received has culminated in a Building Award. The judges across the multiple awards have acknowledged that a previously derelict site with substantial structural and planning challenges has been transformed into a special place with attractive, sustainable build to rent and affordable homes in a greatly enhanced environmental setting.”
Awards received by The Pavilions in 2019 include:
- Building Awards - Housing Project of the Year
- Housing Design Awards - Completed Award
- Sunday Times British Homes Awards - Development of the Year (over £10m)
- CIOB Construction Manager of the Year Awards - Gold Medal for James Howlett in the Residential Under 7 storeys category
- Planning Awards - Highly commended for Best Housing Scheme (fewer than 500 homes)
- RTPI Awards - Finalist for Excellence in Planning for Homes
- Property Week Awards - Shortlisted for Placemaking Award